Friday, March 8, 2013

Colombian Fruit Series: Granadilla

One of the best parts about being here is the amazing variety of fruits that you can try. We'll document some of the cool ones that aren't so common to the rest of the world.

First up is the Granadilla (kinda reminds you of the word grenade huh?). One sister told me that they get their name because when you throw them, they explode all over with their seeds like a grenade (don't quote me on that one, but it sounds legit)! Steph was raving about this fruit on our last visit, and when I tried it, I was amazed! I thought it was such a cool fruit because it's so unique and delicious from any other fruits I've had before. Here's why....

This is a Granadilla. Round, about the size of an apple, and a hard outer shell

Start opening it by cutting around the top of the fruit (hands are also an acceptable tool)

Almost there...

Eureka! Not really what you expected to be in there huh?

The seeds kinda remind us of fish eyes, and they are slimy too :-P
Don't be afraid though. If you can get past the visual, they are incredible! The black seeds are crunchy, and the slime/snot is deliciously sweet and jucy!

It's amazing how Jehovah created a perfect little bowl to eat these out of.

Yep....There's a lot of them in there. 

And when you're done....it still looks cool. I mean...look at it...what are those tentacles all about on the inside?

This is how you will feel after you eat one! 

Make sure to ask for one when you visit us. You won't be able to experience this in too many places.

Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...slime/snot...I can hardly wait...Please reserve one for me...I'll be practicing how to order...gra.na.dilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara says she like the look of utter satisfaction on your face.....the visual was interesting to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think it looks like a food for paradise! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I want to try it! I will definitely be coming to visit! What you all are doing is so encouraging to young ones like myself! Keep up the good work Jameson and Steph! :-)

    ReplyDelete